View Single Post
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 10:19 PM       
If you're a kid that's socially aware enough to want a good education, your school's doing it's job as far as you're concerned. Some schools may not maintain great averages but will at least graduate their share of successful students, and in schools like that (mine, for example) where the majority (75% maybe) of the students come out okay I think it's the parents of the other 25% who should be picking up the slack.

I realize there are poor schools and this is an issue that deserves government attention, but I am not well enough informed to suggest a plan - I don't intend to have children for a good six to ten years, and when I do, I'll probably homeschool them.

Regarding the article, however; I dislike their statistics, because percentages and averages are poor measuring sticks that hardly account for factors like distribution, and anyone with a high school diploma qualifies for some college out there. But I very much agree with their attack on the curriculum. I was happy as a junior high student when I realized that things weren't going to be changing to quickly in my little town, and I would still general information and skills instead of having my fragile little psyche nurtured. This kind of system is making poor academics a self-fulfilling prophecy by changing all of the wrong things in the hopes of fixing the problem.

Of course, no one really wants to hear how I think school should be taught, and it would never be put into practice anyway...