View Single Post
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
you guys are overrating the opeth guy. He doesn't play anything challenging. If we're talking composition first, it's a whole different top5. (well, just one change for me, I'd stick Jim Matheos of Fates Warning somewhere in there)
I can't speak for everyone else here, but my choices aren't strictly based on technical proficiency. Akerfeldt may not be Yngwie, but what he plays is airtight, and I love his songwriting.

Saraceno is a technical whiz who chooses to play accessible, moving, meaningful music, without resorting to jerking off, which is something an awful lot of so-called "shredders" can't do.

Same thing with Setzer. Say what you will about rockabilly and swing, but that guy's chops are fuckin' terrifyingly good.

For those of you not familiar with Mike Keneally, you should check him out. He played with Zappa years back, so if you're a Zappa fan, you'll like this guy. He's also a freakish talent.