View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 11:26 AM       
The Infidel. It was good, but it wasn't as riotously funny as I thought it would be.

It's about a British Muslim who, although he's personally "relaxed" in his own religious observations, still hits all of the big requirements and is quite anti-Semitic. While he's cleaning out his recently deceased mom's house, he finds some paperwork and discovers he's adopted. A visit to the agency reveals that he's in fact....wait for it....Jewish! Now he's got to reconcile that with various anti-Semitic pressures he's experiencing. For example, his son wants to marry the daughter of a controversial cleric and he's expected to put on an extra-pious front until the blessing's obtained.

There were a lot of funny parts and I think the overall message has value in the whole let's-hug-it-out sense, but I was confused sometimes. As soon as the guy figures out he's Jewish by birth, he seems to be completely engulfed by the burning desire to out himself one way or another. There was no "hm, that's interesting, but I'm this now and I'm going to get on with my life". He did the very un-Jewish thing of loudly proclaiming- literally yelling- how Jewish he was at every opportunity, and then randomly going out of his way to completely reverse and conceal it. There were a few other iffy plot points, but this was a big thing throughout.