View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 12:35 PM       
tastes like crap, but not because my 'side' is loosing the 'argument'. It's because I get to live in a time in America where the confress actually debates wether it's okay to torture people, and the Presiddnt of the United Sates refers to torture as a 'program' carried out by 'professionals'. It's mind boggling to me, like something out of a Philip K. Dick novel.

And you have no way of knowing if waterboarding is a bad as it gets. What are 'alternative methods'? Why have ninety some odd prisoners died in custody, and how many of them died during their interrogations?

This is a really basic argument. You think it's okay to torture people under the right circumstances and you seem to have some sort of odd faith that it won't get out of control. I think it's a complete, repulsive, moral wrong. I'm not even concerned that I think it's ineffective (which I do, and so does the military) I think it's onbscene, and as long as this administration remains in office, there's blood on the hands of every tax payer.

It's not really an debatable argument. Either you think torture is justifiable or not, or you draw some line in the sand somewhere in the middle. None of it yields to argument.

I just want to say at least you, Preech, have the balls to say that you support torture, and that you take pleasure in the idea. I think anyone who's pro torture at some level gets off on the idea, mostly on the idea of torturing people you know are guilty and doing it to 'save lives' and for no other reason, but I don't think torture would be such a prevalent theme in history if it wasn't human nature to dig it. That's the main reason I'm against it.

Our president doesn't have those balls. For him, it's a 'program' of 'alternative measures.' That makes me want to puke, as does the idea that he can redefine torture enough to be able to stand up and say "America does not torture". At least when Clinton raped the English language it was about wether a blow job constituted sex.

Mccain and company will one day answer to their concept of God or lack thereof, because they know exactly what they are doing. They know that whatver compromise they make, he'll skirt even that much. When it was time for Nixon to go, it was Republicans who showed him the door. Would that we had, if not profiles in courage, at least profiles in decency. Instead we have profiles in electability.