View Single Post
Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 08:17 PM       
Great game. Probably the best sound, lighting, and overall ambience I've ever seen in a game. The real scares aren't in the "OHSHIT!" moments in the game (i.e. shit jumping out at you), but rather in the "Ohhh, shiiiiiiiiiiiiit..." times where you're sure that you're being stalked (which is almost always).

Story could have been better, and plot is kind of annoying after a while. ("Hey, Isaac, thanks for fighting your way through hordes of monsters and fixing that thing , but something else is broken and we're all gonna die if you don't go and fix that. We're just gonna hide in the room and yell at you to hurry up.") But it's still entertaining and keeps the wheels moving.

Combat is just fun. Systematic fighting is a welcome alternative to the usual "shoot them in the head to do more damage" mechanic of almost every other shooter, and shooting off limbs makes more sense than, say, RE4's Ganado-killing technique (shoot them in the head, kick them in the face, then stab them until they stop moving).

Best game I've played in 2008. So far.