View Single Post
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2010, 02:33 PM        Might and Magic fans in the house?
This topic is about one of the most fantastic fantasy RPGs ever created. The Grandpa of all MMO's.

.....(applause)

The first time I layed eyes on an M&M game was when I was working for KB toys as a youth. In the store we had some cheap PC games on the computer rack. So, one fine day I decided to spend some of my minimum wage salary on a random computer game. I took out my wallet, closed my eyes, point my finger into the mess of PC games sloppily placed on the rack and miraculously picked out Might & Magic 7. Now usually I don't buy games that are half way through a series but I gave it a shot nontheless. I brought it home, cracked it open, and installed it on my PC. What I discovered after 20 minutes of playing it was a First-Person / Group based / RPG.

It had all the hallmarks of a regular RPG but was completely different in the way it moved. You could toggle in and out of turn-based combat, you could walk around 3D rendered environments at will, Travel to places all over the map, Pick and choose your quests ,promotions, friends, enemies, the digital skies were the limit.

The only thing I could possibly compare it to today would be a non-online, non-multiplayer MMO. Now I understand how little sense that makes but there is really no other way I can describe it. You roam the vast expanses of the virtual world talking to NPC, competing quests, and mastering certain skills through apprenticeship.

I always wondered if 3DO and New World Computing didn't go the way of the dodo, would we have be playing Might & Magic's successor instead of World Of Warcraft?

Anyone else play any of the M&M's ? Heroes included.