View Single Post
Marc Summers is probably a spambot
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 03:07 PM       
The world wouldn't explode, it would be sucked into the mini black hole that may cause scientists to say "uh oh, why isn't it dissipating?"

A lot of this article is speculation from Dr. Cox that seems underdeveloped. I find that to be...well...scary.

Quote:
"There has never been such a jump in particle physics. It will go into an area that we don't really understand,"
That's comforting.

Quote:
"There is dark matter. It is all over the place but we have no idea what it is."
It's everywhere but we dunno man...

Quote:
It makes up about 70 per cent of the energy in the universe, but again we have absolutely no idea what it is.
How did they get 70% I wanna know
But then again, they have no idea.

Quote:
For the first time in many decades we have built a machine that exceeds our powers of prediction.
That's comforting.

Quote:
Dr Cox dismissed worries that by adventuring into the unknown and creating tiny black holes, the machine could even destroy the planet.

"The probability is at the level of 10 to the minus 40," he said.
How did he come up with that??? I thought it "exceeds their powers of prediction"

To me, it sounds like the scientists are going to do experiments in an area that they have absolutely no clue about, and they may destroy the world in the process. Instead of addressing concerns about that, they just seem dismissive about it.

Then again, the atom bomb was created and it didn't destroy the whole world in one go, so maybe I'm just overreacting. I hope I am