View Single Post
Archduke Tips is probably a spambot
Old Dec 19th, 2005, 03:19 PM       
Kahljorn,
You take a very interesting perspective that I did not see. I am curious what your background is?

I took a look at it from sort of a perspective that does not take into account the people in power nor the influence of money, just humanity as a whole.

I do believe the primitive society has gone away. We aren't having to fight eachother for dominance. While some people still have this mentality, overall we have a very structured society that focuses on a sense of equality and ethics. Ethics is essentially the aspect that takes us from primitives to intellectuals.

I did not intend to make a point that we should become the primitive society. I was trying to say that if we reach the top of the population plateau that will be essentially what happens as we start to decline down the other side. I was more trying to suggest that maybe we should look at the technologies we have developed and decide which ones are valuable and which are superfluous and kind of trim the fat.

I really like how you kind of give a twist on things and say the people who make the medicine really don't care about the common man... and I kind of think maybe you are right. However, I realize I am not really qualified to speak about that because, despite the fact that both of my parents were doctors, I have always resisted using medicine or going to the hospital and seem to have always recovered just fine. But I guess looking at it from a business standpoint, healthcare has been doing exceptionally well and maybe that sort of indicates that the ethics of care are fading away from healthcare.

I disagree with society being in-between a physical and intellectual state. Society is made up of many different people who may be in any of the three states. One aspect of society that I think shows the emotional state is religion. The intellectual state can be shown in our infrastructures and our tendency towards education and advancement. And obviously the physical side takes a part when you look at things like clubs and bars. Some people may be more inclined towards one thing or the other, but society as a whole is made up of all three aspects that you mentioned.

Also, I don't see how molecular engineering can fix the problem. While it can stretch our resources further, it seems to have many problems of its own. I'd be interested in hearing about your theory on how molecular engineering is the solution to limited resources.

Thankyou for your awesome reply.