Thread: New Orleans
View Single Post

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM       
Yeah Im not sure on the FEMA end of it, again Im only familiar with the military end of it. I'm guessing the scale is so large that they're still tryin to establish some kind of command and control over the situation.

If you've worked in and around any government agency, it would likely give you some indication as to the level of beuracracy and nonsense that afflicts it at almost every level. Ive seen citiest "war-game" disaster scenarios on a small scale (plane crash, terrorist attacks, etc) and even on such a small scale the coordination between rescue, law enforcement, medical, infrastructure, etc was an absolute nightmare.

Not sure why they haven't explored the option of air dropping supplies in as they can do that with a high level of accuracy.

I spent a few months living in Biloxi and have some friends there. Im shocked by the devastation in the pictures. To be honest I think they're/we're lucky in a sense that it hit where it did because we're really only dealing with one major metropolitan area. Imagine if more than one large city had been affected at the same time.