View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 01:35 PM        Christopher Hitchens says Women aren't funny
Blowhard extrodinaire and ex left wing nut current right wing nut Christopher Hitrchens just wrote an essay for Vanity Fair on why Women aren't Funny.

Here's the lead.

"Be your gender what it may, you will certainly have heard the following from a female friend who is enumerating the charms of a new (male) squeeze: "He's really quite cute, and he's kind to my friends, and he knows all kinds of stuff, and he's so funny … " (If you yourself are a guy, and you know the man in question, you will often have said to yourself, "Funny? He wouldn't know a joke if it came served on a bed of lettuce with sauce béarnaise.") However, there is something that you absolutely never hear from a male friend who is hymning his latest (female) love interest: "She's a real honey, has a life of her own … [interlude for attributes that are none of your business] … and, man, does she ever make 'em laugh.""

What a bloated, idiotic sack of crap. Now, while I almost Always think Hitch is a fuck, he usually writes (and writes well) from behind a wall of being smarter and better informed than anybody you know.

This foray, however, takes him into new territory, a field he knows shit all nothing about.

I've worked in comedy my entire adult life. Some of the strongest comic voices I've worked with have been women. Yes, there have been more men, but there are all sorts of reasons for that and Hitch isn't saying women are less funny, he's saying they aren't funny. Fuck that noise, and fuck the old gas bag for thinking you don't need to know what funny is to hold forth on it.

Amy Sedaris
Amy Poehler
Catherine Ohara
Cheri Oteri
Gilda Radner
Lucile Ball
Gracie Allen (who was a fucking genius)
Paula Poundstone
How about 30 Rock, whose writting that show?

And those are just my damn favorites. I would suggest the reason Hitch doesn't know any funny women is that he's repulsive.