Thread: modest mouse.
View Single Post
...Pause at the Beginning
Aaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty okAaarg is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:08 AM       
Yeah, people associate them with that and it sucks. That's why bands suck once they become popular--people associate them with a certain sound and they get uninspired and have to bend to fit that mold.

Listen to some of their old stuff:

This one might be my favorite, ever. It's slow in the beginning, so you kind of have to bare with it. Basically at about 1:30 it starts letting go and then BOOM in one second the song fucking loses it and becomes completely awesome. A bunch of layers, high-pitched guitar, what sounds like Isaac Brock in the background shouting over and over again and it all blends very well.

This one is much more mellow and there's build-up that lasts for more than five seconds. The vocal parts do get a bit boring but once you get past the second (or third, I forget) verse it's all outstanding, so it's kind of like "Freebird" in that respect.
There is a definite "shit's about to get real" part in this song, though, it's about 3:15 when the high-pitched guitar comes in for a sneak preview, and then gets fuckin' comfortable.

I should be a shitty music critic.