View Single Post
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 02:39 AM       
I think you're right about us kicking neanderthals ass

And kelly, while what I think I called the 'fact' of evolution, the change in biodiversity over time is not inherently inconsistent with any mechanism, including divinely ordained teleology, I'd say there's a lot of other evidence that doesn't really support that.
Like I said, pretty much all evidence indicates that the only 'ends' of any organisms existence are the perpetuation of that organisms genes. I guess thats a bit of a bold claim, but I can't think of any features of any organisms that do anything really inconsistent with genetic self interest. Humans notwithstanding, since we have all this intelligence and such that complicates things, although if you look hard enough, a lot of human behavior can be seen in terms of reproductive advantage.
That all being said, in the absence of any evidence of planning, the biosphere can be considered a spontaneous order, where the interaction of different elements (genes) attempting to maximize their interests ( *replication* -genes aren't selfish, but the ones that reproduce the most exist the most, go read Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, its good stuff) under universally applied rules (laws of nature) results in diversity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some geneius :rolleyes
Well wait one second there! How can there be diversity, if all these genes have the same interests, and follow the same rules?
Thats where mutations come in! And later down the evolutionary road, sex! Both of these fantastic phenomenon result in new genetic codes, which get out into the world to try to propogate themselves! Alright, the sex one is a bit complicated, but kinship altruism is a whole 'nother lecture for you kids ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by a predictable cunt
BUT WAIT ONE SECOND AGAIN THERE GOAT! Mutations? What a load of shit! Are you saying an amoeba JUST RANDOMLY mutated into a snake which mutated into a monkey which mutated into a man? That's nonsense! If mutations are really causing all this diversity of which you so nonsensly speak, then those mutations need some kind of plan! Face it, you blind disciple of Darwin, life isn't random, diversity can't come from randomness, only from PLANNING AND INTELLIGENT DESIGN.
Interesting point preechr! If I might direct your eyes a little higher up this very post, and your mind a little higher than crudely disguised fantasizing, perhaps you'll see an explanation!
Nope? Alright then. Mutations may randomly generate new genetic codes, but the way these codes continue to exist is by being better than all the other codes at reproducing, under those universally applied rules alluded to earlier!
There's a few things left unexplained or poorly explained here, hopefully some of you bright young anti-rationalists will be able to point them out!
I hope you do, because I for one am heck of enjoying this thread.