Thread: A life wasted
View Single Post
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:45 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
civilisations do not stand on the good will of those around them, to believe that is the worst sort of ignorance.
1. quit spelling "civilization" like a foreigner.
2. none has to this point, but is the ideal society one that is full of good will or full of fear of the military/police?

In reality, modern society is in balance between control through fear and control through the inherent rewards of harmonious living.

Personally, I find the worst sort of ignorance to be blind faith in nationalism and one's leaders. It's that sort of ignorance that caused the Holocaust.

Centralization of power is not good. The altruism of the emporer is merely the expression of a fear of a coup. However, humans aren't very good at getting things done without a hierarchy, so don't think I'm suggesting anarchy.

I'm not claiming to have the answers. I don't know how we can go from "peace through superior firepower" to something sane, but I do believe that such hawkish philosophy is a path to our own annihliation.

What was that statistic from the cold war era regarding how many nukes the USA and USSR had combined? Something like enough to destroy the Earth 8 times over?