View Single Post

iron mitchell is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM        best albums you've discovered so far this year.
mammal - nights (a little less of the boombap sound here. more fuzz and atmosphere. his stuff on the just now released split with bran (...) pos is even better, but the bran stuff is little less appealing to me than his older stuff. get both, though.)
reynols - the bolomo mogal f hits (hey! kinda moan-y psych-rock and a little of their classic drone sound mixed in with this newer, more accessible sound they're toying with.)
panicsville - sterile (holy shit! i can't believe he topped "evil"! seriously, he even revisits the classic vomit sound with what sounds like an extended dry heave! repeated over and over and over! andy's brand of anti-music is seriously making itself look more and more like the work of a genius rather than a sadistic "post-rrrecords" guy with each release! best album i've heard this year, i think.
knifestorm - body world (at first, i was way more into the staple pie cdr, finding this one a little less interesting and almost too drone-y. however, i've found myself popping this one in a lot in the last month or two and it's truly a piece of classic buzz drone. fucking classic like queen, man!)
fat worm of error - summer mixtape 2003 cassette (freaked the fuck out caroliner project! i find this to be a little bit more insane than caroliner's latest offerings, but that might just be because i had the chance to see caroliner live and that gives me a visual to go along with, unlike fat worm. either way, this is for any fan of caroliner, particularly the less bluegrass-influenced material.)
dead machines - plays vampire planet (wow, total lock groove static warmness. driving to any other album at night is retarded and boring now. like bathing, but not wet and annoying.)
noise nomads/diagram a - split (good lord, this was the fucking way to start the new year... insanely primitive caveman fucking RACKET on the nomads behalf and bizarre, almost (pre?)post-apocolyptic, analog noise from diagram a. this is great stuff for sitting in the park at night and listening to on headphones.
doktor kettu - black zeniths (completely rad space atmospherics with the smoke issued forth by his other cdr's pushed back into the background and the loneliness of the actual music brought to the front. really nice!)
john weise - ghost call (another instant classic from weise. this time i seriously can't think of a way to describe this record. all i know is it's really great and the only thing that has knocked it from it's pedestal on my turntable in the past two months for more than one play is pink floyd's "piper at the gates..." lp. that says a lot.
spykes - silent locks (this is the record that ANYONE who does drugs has to own! all completely mind/sound/matter fucked and it all came from the sounds that spykes gathered from an abandoned(?) house. it might seem random to some folks, but those people are fools.)

some other things that are growing on me really fast are:
chib - moco
tan as fuck - u-sound archive
aaron hibbs - companding
wolf eyes - droll 13
deerhoof - milk man
xiu xiu - fabulous muscles (got it in december but close enough)
black leather jesus - all of 'em i can find!
v/a - princess nicotine
amps for christ - the people at large
liars - they were wrong so we drowned (damned if these guys haven't gotten interesting all of a sudden!)
rubber-o cement/panicsville - split lp
mossmaster and mothmaster cdr's
daniel menche - invoker, blackwing, & scourge, that's her name!
thee silver mountain reveries - pretty little lightning paw (best thing they've done in some time!)