View Single Post
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2012, 05:48 PM       
No seriously though I think my job is killing me. It's why I haven't been posting here lately. That and my laptop had a meltdown like 3 weeks ago. But yeah my job.

Basically what I do is I go in and shovel ice into bags to be used to store blood, which has to be kept as cold as possible to avoid spoilage. Anyway though this wouldn't be so bad but for a few things. Namely that the machines I scoop the ice out of are very low to the ground and I am 6'1". I have to spend about 6 hours every day bent at a 45 degree angle and making repetitive wrist movements. Also, I work in the very early morning (usually at 12:00 a.m. - 2 a.m. til about 8 or 9 in the morning) and my schedule is utterly, completely random. It's gotten a bit better, but during the holidays it was not uncommon for me to go in at 4 a.m. one night and then 1 a.m. the next day. I miss the sun.

I also load heavy shit onto trucks in -100 degree weather and that's doing a number on my back as well. I am beginning to wonder if it's worth it at all but I really need the job and I get insurance benefits from it but I'm worried it's coming at the cost of my health. WHAT DO