View Single Post
Forum Virgin
Arioch is probably a spambot
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 09:00 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin View Post
Okay, let's create a new rulebook for the forums. You can help! Here's what we need to consider:
  • We need to revise our rules & guidelines for the forum redesign
  • We need to make the rules WAY more concise so that idiots will read them
  • We need to make them specific enough to show idiots the error of their ways
  • We need to make them flexible enough so that idiots don't try to 'throw the book at us'
The old rules are here: http://www.i-mockery.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19902

Let's get down what's most important and try to capture the HEART of what goes on here.

Just by virtue of being idiots, they won't read whatever rules and guidelines are posted. Plain and simple. I've been a forum admin/moderator for way too many years to even hold a shred of hope that any set of rules we come up with will be adhered to by those the rules were designed to "enlighten".

Your best bet is to word whatever rules and guidelines you have in such a way as to be reactive to situations in general. Those of us who aren't idiots pretty much already know how to conduct ourselves on message forums so a proactive set of rules is kind of a waste.

Oh and they will always think you're out to get them, no matter what you say. This isn't a governmental forum so freedom of speech doesn't apply. It's a privately owned website and as such can be moderated in any way the owner chooses. By virtue of this being a privately owned site, it *can* be run in a dictatorial manner and there's not one damn thing anyone can say. Get used to being called a forum nazi because it'll never go away.

These are the kinds of things people seldom realize and it's not your job to constantly tell them. Screw the ones who don't adhere or abide by the rules. No matter where they go, they will do the same things.

PS: After re-reading my post I realize how much of an asshole I sound. I assure you I really am not, it's just my vast years of experience trying to do what you're trying to do that led me to post what I did. I can be happy and upbeat, honest :D