View Single Post
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:53 PM       
Kelly, you're a blatant and shameful hypocrite in that you accuse a vast ontological tradition of "copping out" by making reference to eternity as a concept, but then you refuse to open your eyes to any rational contemplation of eternity because of certain predjudices you have about it. That, Kelly, is a fucking cop-out.

Eternity is a concept and, by definition, is indiscrete, inconcrete and unknowable.

I've never encountered such a definition of it, so reason dictates that you're pulling this weakly out of your ass. That's the exact same attitude that many civilizations held about weather and the cosmos. Yet what did they do? They dissected them into rational components of understanding, they applied logic to these building blocks of knowledge, and they extrapolated working models of nature. The same can be done for metaphysics.

it does not mean that you are any more capable than I to do so.

Accusing me of holding conceptions that I can hold greater abstract thought than you is no less presumptuous than you thinking I can't conceive of these things simply because YOU NEVER PUT IN THE EFFORT. I don't claim to have astounding gifts of reason. I'm merely stating that I have devoted a great deal of time in rumination on these things, so it JUST MIGHT BE POSSIBLE that I have a tad bit more insight into them than the majority of people here.

The attitude that "eternity is complicated, don't even TRY to fathom it" is just defeatist and ignorant.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT