View Single Post
BobDole is probably a spambot
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 12:19 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
The fact that the Bible has been re-written several times throughout history to fit the needs of whatever ruling class there was at the time doesn't speak much towards it's credibility. It's also missing books thanks to the Vatican picking and choosing for you what you need to know about Jesus' time on Earth.
While the Bible has been "re-written" several times throughout history, I generally think that the most rewrites have come about via translations, and in that some of the actual meaning has been lost. I won't deny that I think some of the Bible was changed in order to fit more with the ideology of the current day, though whether or not this occurs to fit in with the ideology of the ruling class or just the general public is uncertain.

And, yes, I do have a problem with the books that are considered canon having been handpicked and most of the other manuscripts destroyed or locked away, but I think some of the ones that Vatican chose to do wtihout were practical choices. I mean, I'm a fairly spiritual person, and even I would be hard pressed to believe some of the shit they wrote in some of the other scriptures, such as the Infant Gospels.

Just my two cents, anyway.