Thread: Language
View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 09:45 PM       
Oh, man, I wish I could find where I read this, but there was a great account written by a man who met Einstein when he was a student.

Einstein was doing one of his visiting professorships, can't remember the college. So this student was walking along and sees him standing on a bridge over a fishpond. He recognizes Einstein immediately and knows he'll never forgive himself if he doesn't say something to him.

So he moseys over to the bridge, and he and Einstein are standing side by side, and he's horrified to realize that they don't have a very extensive common vocabulary. Apparently Einstein realizes this too, because there's a lot of uncomfortable shuffling and sheepish grinning.

So eventually there's a ripple in the water, and almost as if he's relieved he can talk about something, Einstein points at it and says, "Fisch."

And the guy chuckles and says, "Fish."

And Einstein laughs and says "Ja, ja, fisch."

And that, the guy sheepishly reports, was his big meeting with Einstein.