View Single Post
Token Bleeding Heart
LordSappington is probably a real personLordSappington is probably a real person
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 02:46 AM       
Homefront:
I had high hopes for Homefront. It had a lot of potential; the first thirty minutes had my blood pumping and ready to KICK ASS. However, it started to fall flat pretty quickly. The first thing I noticed was that you can only carry 90 spare rounds for SMGs and assault rifles. This isn't much ammo even before you take into account that enemies take more damage in general than in, say, Call of Duty. The weapons also don't have much weight behind them; none of them feel particularly powerful, and there's little difference from weapon to weapon. Also, when you throw grenades, you don't get any sense of the fuse like in CoD when your crosshair pulses, and the grenade magically leaves your hand before you even complete the throw.
The environments aren't much better. You spend less time in iconic American settings, like baseball fields and malls, than you do in random, bombed-out suburbs and unrecognizable holding areas.
As for the story: It starts off with you getting your apartment busted into, and you getting arrested, thrown down the stairs, and carted away in a bus. On the way, you see quite a few honestly touching horrors of war, which got me ready to kick some ass. The bus then gets hit by an SUV, which kills everyone inside but you. A resistance member takes you (the exact pilot they were looking for, conveniently.) to their hideout, and you begin a plan to steal three tankers of fuel and take them to the Army. This mission will take up about 2/3 of the four-hour gameplay, by the way.
The characters are all pretty much useless. None of them have any development, and I couldn't relate to any of them at all. I honestly wouldn't have been affected in any way if any of them ended up dying.
As for multiplayer, I can't say, because the SERVERS WOULDN'T WORK.
tl;dr Bad/short campaign, boring gameplay, bad characters, non-functioning multiplayer (for me).