View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Oct 9th, 2011, 02:49 PM       
It's been almost 2 and a half months, so I decided to make my final evaluation.

The brine looks redder in this picture than it really is, mainly because of the concentration of red pickles inside. When I poured out the brine, there was barely any red in it. It was just the straw-colored urine-y shade of normal pickle brine. I took this to mean that all of the red that could be absorbed...done been absorbed.

Most of the pickles were nice, deep, vivid red. A few had developed a disconcerting waxy residue, and I'm not entirely sure what that was. I didn't touch them. They were all the way at the bottom of the jar and there were plenty of normal red pickles on the top to be had.

As you can see here, the redness has soaked just about all of the way through. There were a few lighter, yellowish patches in some of the bigger pickles, but the majority of them were completely saturated. I cut some slices to make sure, and yep, saturated through the full thickness of the pickle.

I tentatively did a taste test, and I was surprised to find that the flavor had entirely morphed to sour cherry. There was no pickle flavor left, it was just sour cherry. Sort of like a red lifesaver with a sour edge to it. Very good, actually.

So there you have it...the final observations of the pickle experiment.