View Single Post
mmm muffins
Wiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty okWiffles is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 04:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
Yea, it does seem like that happens a lot. I always thought it was ridiculous that things break so soon after purchasing them, whereas in the "old days" things would last forever.
But did you know that this was actually an influence on the great depression and on our recovery from it? Because back then you would buy a car and you wouldn't have to buy a car for 20 + years. So what happens when everybody owns a car or a refrigerator and it never breaks forever? Nobody is buying more stuff, unless they're rich, so you get periods of stagnancy in the buying of certain products. So then they had to start having like "Editions" of cars or whatever with new features to entice people into buying them; and eventually they stopped making them last 20 years + so that people would have to buy new cars, and the factories could keep producing.
It probably depends which country or how expensive the Item you bought is. Lets say you bought something more expensive and Made In Deutchland, well you can expect it to last long. As opposed to something made in China that you just bought for a fraction of the price. As may be the case, most electronics are made there anyway, so I can see why they had reliability issues. It may be a case of Price and quality. Also not everything made before was more reliable. Would you dare to drive cross country on a Model-T (even if it was brand new) today? I think not, simply because the average modern family vehicle is more reliable. ^.^

But in a way, some things made back then were more reliable, like fridges. They could practically survive a nuclear blast O.o