Thread: Going Catholic
View Single Post
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 11:45 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoolinator View Post
The "scientist" when prompted will immediately say...."EVERYTHING IS FINE, SCIENTIFIC STUDIES SAY THAT TOXIC WASTE IS GOOD FOR THE OCEAN AND GIVES YOUR A BRIGHT ATTRACTIVE SMILE....IM A SCIENTIST....BELIEVE ME....LOOK I'M EVEN WEARING A FANCY LAB COAT, pocket protector, AND GLASSES."

you get where I'm going with this. It's tough now a days to actual find an independent researchers.
Actually, it isn't tough, but you have to know where to look.

This kind of pseudo-science also annoys the heck out of me. It doesn't take much more than a pair of safety glasses, a few test tubes and some colored liquid to convince most people that an actor is a scientist. Look at CSI for example (it's really quite a funny show, from a real scientist's perspective).

What bothers me the most about your stated viewpoints are the blatant discounting of one side of a given story simply because of a single or very few isolated events. As an example, take the climate change debate, for lack of a better term, which is much more complex and convoluted than you, or anyone else for that matter makes it seem. Just because of some e-mails, this throws everything into doubt? Please. You cannot throw away years of data much of which was collected before most of us on this forum were born (or our parents or grandparents for that matter) just on the basis of a few "suspect" points.

The bottom line is that we still have much more that we don't know about climate change than what we do know. It is an insanely complex phenomenon, made even more so by local variations in weather patterns (which allows bozos like O'Reilly or Hannity make cracks about global warming during a very cold winter in DC). I've seen some people on this forum (myself included) complain bitterly about the snowfall in the northeastern US. "Send some of that global warming our way!" The bottom line is that even with this local variance, the average global temperature at sea level is still rising. This trend will not be stemmed by any one course of action, nor is it clear that it is not part of the normal cycle of climate for our planet over millennia. What is clear is that adding to greenhouse gas emissions through technological advancement in third world countries will exacerbate the situation, and adds to pollution of the local environment in any event. Curbing this action is the right thing to do in the long run, whatever the reasoning.

Politics and science have become intermingled, and the truth suffers.
You may already be there.