View Single Post
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom Zero View Post
Most people I enjoy being around are Math, Science, and Philosophy folks, and they aren't really my competitors. Art students are insufferable. My photography class is a pain unlike any other. Also; writers. It's why I'm not primarily an English major.

My biggest problem with this stuff, (and I'd known it before I got here), is that creativity is very stifled. You're allowed to think outside the box, so long as that box is encased within another box and you don't go outside that one. It's all completely fake. I love it when there's disagreement and dissension in class. I hate most the people that try to agree with one another as quickly as possible, and unfortunately that's not something that changes with age, as I've come to find out. Someone that disagrees with me is well on their way to earning my total respect.
I can't wait for the critiques to get serious here, most of the kids are nervous about things getting taken personally. Of course, this means that one of my classes has hilarious critique sessions. Every week, this one chick gets offended that no one has anything to say about her work. She calls everyone out on it, and everyone gets embarrassed and dutifully critiques her work. Then she gets irritated and surly because they're critiquing her work. It's like some kind of continuing lab experiment on repetitive behavior... I think the only serious disagreement I've had with anyone at the college were idiots who considered themselves whiskey experts.