View Single Post
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM       
Sorry I'm a little late in posting, but I've been sick and couldn't be arsed. Anyway. Yeah. Werewolf Fur.

I'd never seen this before, so when I ran across it in Foy's weird little candy section (sort of a hodgepodge pile of things near the register in a couple of aisles, in the front-ish area of the store), I thought I'd better grab it. $2.50 seems sort of steep for a little envelope of cotton candy, but this is supposed to be some sort of magical cotton candy. See, the werewolf is burping crystalline effervescent microbes:

Are you going to say no to a Beetlejuice-haired gassy white wolfman who emerges from a flaming forest spewing forth blue and purple starbursts of unknwn significance? No, I'm not either.

The back of this is blurry, but the part I want you to see (and the part I missed in the dim, spooky light of Foy's), is that this is well expired. Why I would think that a place that sold me a Balzac, complete with an eighth of an inch of dust on the package, would turn up its metaphorical nose at expired candy? More importantly, am I willing to eat expired Chinese werewolf fur? Let me take a moment to think.

Bet your ass.

So I rip the little foil pack open and it's...well, kind of disappointing, actually. What I thought was going to be cotton candy that sizzled on the tongue turned out to have two distinct parts- green cotton candy, and green pop rocks. I'd been hoping that somehow they had spun pop rocks into cotton candy, using some sort of Chinese Willy Wonka magic that retained the carbonation, but no. Or, at any rate, it's since regressed back to its natural state.

Post-expiration life has not been kind, as evidenced by the cotton candy sticking together in nasty little clods. More disconcerting, I know for a fact that the package was sealed until I broke the seal, it's not particularly humid today, but still the pop rocks started sizzling the second I opened the package. I know my way around pop rocks (have you ever had one detonate in an undiscovered crack in a tooth? I have!) and I know that normal pop rocks don't really do that. Nor do they normally keep sizzling in sink water for 10 minutes after you flick them off your hands. So I'm a bit wary of that bit of confectionery sorcery.

They pop in your mouth quite viciously, whereas the cotton candy part (the part ADVERTISED as crackling) pops not at all. The "green apple" flavor was a little weak, which was fine by me because I hate green apple. So the question is...does this candy live up to the hype of "crackling werewolf fur"? Not so much. It does put forth a good effort at portraying decomposition and unease, though. I just checked my sink again and it's still crackling in there.