View Single Post
imported_I, fuzzbot. is probably a spambot
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM       
If there is an election, who the hell would go out and vote because they're likely to be killed while waiting in line. It'll be another set of violent skirmishes.

But Bush wants there to be a vote so he'll probably pay a bunch of displaced peoples to go and vote just for the photo opp. It's actually totally irrelevant because no one's been running in Iraq, who the hell can in a war torn country with no money made available to potential candidates. It's utter lunacy though it doesn't surprise me.

I don't think they should cancel it, but they should drop the idea for now.

Things have to happen in their own time, the US should stabilize Iraq or simply leave after having re-built the infrastructure (and made all their US buddies rich in doing so) to a certain point. They've really dug a massive hole for themselves. In any case, years from now once Iraqi society is no longer threatened by US occupation (cause that's what the insurgents are upset about, but that will never be reported on in the mass media) idealy there would exist a functioning society where people could run for election as they chose, including women, people from differing ethnicities, sects and religions and not under threat of death or violence to run.