View Single Post
...for breakfast?!
Schimid is probably a spambot
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 12:54 PM       
I never saw Fargo, but heard it was good. But what am I talking about, I hear all of their movies are good and then hate them.

I agree it's incredible and sometimes chilling how much they can convey through silence, but I can't be arsed to watch a subtle pantomime for two hours.

They all should be looked at independently, sure. They're completely different movies. But the structures, themes and devices of the brothers are present in all of the movies I've seen and while I certainly admire their consistency, I just can't bring myself to like it.

The acting was great in all the movies I've seen, too. So why the fuck do I hate these guys so bad? They're eccentric, I know that, but I certainly don't want to hate a filmmaker just for breaking convention.

But God, I do.

EDIT - I should probably explain--it seems as if in each movie they explore the same themes of a silent and unrelenting murder that is creeping throughout the entire movie without warning or remorse. I don't think such a thing was in Lebowski, but it's certainly in No Country, Burn After Reading, Ladykillers and (i hear) Fargo.

Also,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOILERS
Each movie I've seen takes casual snuff to a whole new level. Anton kills almost everyone he meets in No Country. Burn After Reading kills off Brad Pitt halfway through with literally no warning. Ladykillers had no problem bumping off the crooks left and right.
so while I think each movie is independent in it's own right, it's also worth noting that there are some devices the brothers use in all their films.