View Single Post
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 12:24 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhukov View Post
Actually, call me a cynic, but I think it's working perfectly for them. America and Russia.

They keep people scared, their attention focused on a never ending war, willing to look the other way or actively support the erosion of civil liberties in the name of security, and no patriot would dare ask questions about anything.
I really don't understand your point? Is the russian government really the ones keeping people scared you think(I'm not subject to their media so I have no real idea)? My point is that the govt doesn't need to keep people in fear because they have legitmate reasons to be afriad provided by the chechen fighters. I'm pretty sure suicide bombings and schools being taken hostage will have that effect of frightening citizens. The Russian government hasn't made up these Chechen extremists or do you think they have? I don't even understand how "terrorists will be destroyed" is disturbing especially taken into context that it was said after two people blow themselves up on a subway! Unless you believe that one person's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter but I think its fair to say people who blow themselves up on subways to kill civilians are not legitmate freedom fighters. "We will not destroy those who blow up our civilians on subways and actually start a peace process with the chechen freedom fighters" sounds even more disturbing to me. I understand the russian govt will use these evnts in their favor but does that really take away from the seriousness of the situation? If I was a russian citizen I'd be pretty concerned about there being people technically within your own borders that are basically left to their own devices to continue planning and executing acts of violence against mostly civilians. I know the russian government isn't innocent in all of this but I'll never understand how anyone can side with people(no matter how bad their plight is or how much they have been taken advantage of by other groups) whose main form of resistance is to kill civilians . I am sure there are plenty of decent chechens out there who obviously should not become scape goats but I find it hard to understand that you wouldn't want your govt to try to prevent these people from commiting these types of crimes. And how is this even being compared to afghanstan? this is in what is internationally recognized as russia terroritory. I mean it sucks these people have been displaced and oppressed for so long but blowing up civilians and committing other acts of what most would call terrorism is a pretty good way to get most of the world to not be on your side.

"ALMOST every month for the past two years, Chechen suicide bombers have struck. Their targets can be anything from Russian soldiers to Chechen police officers to the innocent civilians who were killed on the subway in Moscow this week." - NY times. sounds pretty intense to me

edit: After reading more on the subject it seems the russian government is defiantly fucking with your rights alot more then the united states govt ever did with the patriot act. so i see why your so cynical

Last edited by Ant10708 : Mar 31st, 2010 at 03:30 AM.