View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:46 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
You should have bolded "If you're wondering what else there is to blame, try power. Plain and simple. Religion may be a tool, but power is the goal.". Please note I wasn't trying to say that was their ONLY motivation, but simply a part fo the picture.
How bold of you, Ziggy! Next you'll be informing us that this whole thing is about certain people who have a disagreement with other people. Maybe this is all about human beings on the planet Earth.

Could you be a little bit more obtuse, you haven't stripped the discussion of all its value yet!

Quote:
Of the local insurgents there are a number of motives from political to personal to religious. As convenient as it is to label the entire situation a religious conflict, it isn't the whole picture. The enemy is only human, after all.
Sweet Jesus, so is religion, kitten. I mean, it's not like we're saying Allah himself is picking sides here. Everything we're talking about is of human construct, but thanks anyway for the update.

Ziggy, who is arguably the most powerful rebel leader in Iraq? Ziggy, when Zarqawi put together his insurgent group, why did he take on the name "Al Qaeda"??? Ziggy, why is it so important if we hope for peace and stability that we have Grand Ayatollah Sistani on our side???

You can try to strip this conversation of its religious significance all you like, maybe it'll appease the p.c. in you. But you do the entire conversation a disservice in the process.

Quote:
Quote:
Why is it that the insurgents target mosques??? Why, again, is it that these insurgents kill in the name of Allah instead of iraq, or Arabism, or whatever..?

You tell me. I'm all for asking why, but I don't know all the answers. You apparently do though, so please share. Is the answer you're looking for "because they are Islamists"?
A CLASSIC Ziggy argument. "Hey, I don't like what you're saying, but you mst know it all, so whatever."

I've told you what I think, and you disagree. I believe the problem is that Islam has fallen into a regressive rut so to speak, and it has allowed if not fostered the situation we have today. Are there other factors? Sure, but it doesn't change this fundamental problem.

Alternative theories?

Quote:
It would primarily involve extremely well-funded infiltration of terrorist networks within one's own nation and within ally nations. It would also involve clandestine assassination of those who preach for killing (deliciously ironic, I think) in the name of extremist ideoloogies.
Really? So rather than taking ou the regimes that finance terrorism, you'd assassinate the extremists who preach hate on the streets of London??? How would that roll with Tony?

Quote:
Quote:
Al Qaeda is a product of the problem. Focusing on "black ops" that would "dismantle terrorist organizations" would be good, but would it end jihadism*, Ziggy?
What would, then?
What we're doing. I'd like to see more big stick/speak softly stuff involved, and I think we could liberalize Iran in better ways than with bombs. i think another super idea would have been to clean up our mess in Afghanistan (a wise invasion) before we jumped to Iraq (a not so wise invasion).