View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 09:09 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype
where I've seen this argument applied is when some overzealous ass starts screeching about the evil Republicans and how they're ruining America blah blah blah and ifDemocrats had won we'd be in a utopia blah.
Well, it's funny you'd put it this way. Apparently there were reports prior to the 2004 election from an "unnamed senior official" that the NSA was very concerned this practice would be stopped were Kerry elected president.

But that aside, I understand your point. Of course the Air Americas types are going to take this too far, but it should go as far as it needs to go regardless. The Senate will decide that, I guess.

Quote:
from what I understand, this has only been used thus far to monitor international calls to countries that are considered high risk and that this has yielded positive results. maybe I'm behind on my information, but why exactly is this a bad thing?
It's not, and call me crazy, but i believe that they have been using this practice to really go after the bad guys. I believe they are genuine when they say that.

However, if that's all they're doing, and the FISA court rarely ever says no, and the patriot act expands upon even those tiny limitations, then why even do it? Why is this practice necessary?