View Single Post
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Oct 27th, 2009, 01:10 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeldaQueen View Post
I dreamt of the end of the world (or the last few days). The sun got huge and red and really, really close to the Earth. So that's how I'm picturing the end now.
Technically, planets' orbits become more and more elliptical as they pass by other objects on their way around the Sun.

At least, I inferred that from texts.

So, if we don't die out for a bajillion bajillion years (unlikely), eventually the planet would be so cool and dark during one half of the year and so hot and bright during the other that it'd probably be unable to support life. Or maybe that's just me talking out of my ass.

The constant and exponential expansion of the universe, however, is very interesting. Imagine pulling outward on two sides of a balloon. The top and bottom are pulled inward, towards each other. That's what some scientists think is going to happen. That the "top" or "bottom" side of the universe is going to pull in and crush the solar system almost instantly because the sides of the universe are stretching so thin. I think it's a badass way to end our part of the universe. Imagine when the two sides of the universe meet each other and crush together all of the matter. BOOM. It wouldn't be enough to send the universe back into place, but it might fuse together and make a near-perfect liquid.

They say that the universe was a tiny amount of perfect fluid before it exploded and started expanding.

Also, space is actually made out of stuff, not just the absence of stuff. Which I always took to be fact since I was a kid, but I didn't know that a lot of people thought it was just an empty vacuum.