View Single Post
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:30 PM       
Quote:
They don't seem to be fearing Americans enough to prevent entire cities from rising up.
Well, we're not Saddam Hussein, for one thing, and two or so cities don't count for the entire Iraqi population.

Quote:
Have you ever been to the ME? I have. Abject poverty describes some of it, but not all. Look at the UAE. There are places in Iraq where conditions were crippling, but fuck, drive through Watts some time. Or Compton. Or Brooklyn. Or the Mission District in San Francisco.

If our war is against poverty, lets clean our own backyard first.

Equality under the law is your supposition eh? So you're saying I can expect the same representation and protection unde the law as say, the Kennedies, OJ Simpson, Bill Gates and Kenneth Lay?

A man regretful of a sexual encounter which resulted in a child can have it aborted or file rape charges to avoid fiscal responsibilities?

As for perfection. . .It should be the aim of our efforts, not philosophical conscription.
The point, Ror, is that we have the values as an aim of culture in the first place. Of course it hasn't been perfect, no society is. No matter what you do, people will go hungry and die, and someone will feel cheated. But you have to admit America has done remarkably well in terms of bringing itself closer to the vision.