Thread: MORTAL KOMBAT
View Single Post
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM       
Quote:
I played MK 1 on MAME, and MK 2 and 3 for SNES because the Roms are easier to track down.
MK 2 and 3 need to be played as arcade versions. MK 1 is somewhat sorta-well done on the SNES version (minus the violence and whatnot) though.

http://www.emucation.com/roms.php?system=mame&letter=m

mk2.zip, mk3.zip, and umk3.zip, respectively (ultimate mortal kombat was a patch for mk3 released when everyone was pissed that raiden and scorpion were missing, and everyone wondered why Stryker fired his gun off after fights but wouldn't use it during one.)

MK 2 is the last good MK game in my opinion, though. ;< From MK3 on it tried too hard to be killer instinct.

Maybe it's because you're too young to remember it but part of what made MK 1 & 2 so great was all the media attention around them. I still vividly remember watching the news at my grandparents' house and having them break the MK story on it. The anchorwoman was all WHAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO SEE IS EXTREMELY GRAPHIC. YOU SHOULD ASK ANY CHILDREN PRESENT TO LEAVE THE ROOM. And then they showed a clip of Sub Zero performing a fatality on Sonya. And my grandmother was all UUUUHHHH!

And playing MK2 in the arcades all the time. I would play as Baraka and make people so mad :< QUIT CORNERING ME GOD QUIT IT WHAT THE GOD LET ME OUT QUIT IT and all the cool kids would play as Shang Tsung and memorize all 11 morphs and knew how to butcher the baby after doing a babality ;< Which I still don't know how to do ;<

But yeah I gotta agree with Zomboid - MK 2 is a solid fighting game. MK 1 is too, but it's more like a chess game than a polished fighter ;< Unless you have no idea what you're doing, in that case I guess it'd be kinda stupid.

Maybe I'll have to get mame with kaillera so you can watch me moidalize people with Cage and you can understand how great these games are ;<

Quote:
And just what the hell is wrong with the Genesis versions?
The graphics were absolutely horrible. But MK1 on Genesis I remember playing way closer to the arcade than the SNES version.

That's more nostalgia - only genesis had the BLOOD CODE :<