Thread: RESIDENT EVIL 5
View Single Post
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:46 PM       
I played though both levels of the demo and I had a couple of issues with it.

Firstly the good:
- Looks great.
- Cool enemies (chainsaw guy is probably my favourite that I saw, but the massive axe dude looked cool too).
- Decent scripted sequences.

Secondly the bad:
- Resident Evil has (and apparently always will have) really dreadful controls. I just can't stand how you need to run away from an enemy then spin round and shoot it. It feels so awkward. It's like controlling a walking turret or something.
I'm not saying it should just rip off something like Gears or Uncharted and I can see some merit in the awkwardness as it often inspires panic when you're being chased or whatever, but it makes playing such a chore.

- I have difficulty seeing what's going on. Half the screen is covered by your character and it's just annoying more than anything. The camera needs to be moved back a bit or something. Again I don't know if they did this on purpose to make the experience feel more claustrophobic but even sitting 2 meters away from a 52 inch TV I still had moments where I couldn't see what the fuck was going on.

- I have a feeling that having a companion may lessen the tension of the game slightly. In previous/similar games the fact that you're alone adds to the experience.