Thread: Hell
View Single Post
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Sep 10th, 2006, 07:57 PM       
I always intepreted is as that we fell from God's grace, but we haven't been entirely removed from his warmth, since we still qualify for salvation. I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas
"The flames of Gehenna" is a statement that appears at least once in Scripture, I believe. The parable of Lazareth, I think, talks about unquenching thirst due to heat.
...So, there were some references to Hellfire in scripture.

And Dante envisions the deepest, darkest pit of Hell to be cold, with the sinners submerged or, horribly, only partially submerged in the ice, with Brutus, Judas, and the other guy being eternally chomped on.

I've got that much, but I was under the impression that many other early religious texts refer to hell as cold, even before Dante's poem. So, if that is correct, did the idea of hellfire simply come back into fashion well after Dante? Or did people merely focus on the torment on the other levels of Dante's hell, rather than the icy pit?