View Single Post
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Jan 27th, 2014, 03:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuohlim View Post
What I miss the most is the amount of effort making internet content used to take. You don't really see that effort anymore. Everything's become disposable.
I'm not a fan of that either. I don't update my site every day because I'm much busier than I used to be, but more importantly, I've always been a quality over quantity kind of person when it comes to content. Just as social media has practically killed message forums, bullshit sites like BuzzFeed have killed off quality content.

I could easily churn out the kind of useless drivel BuzzFeed does, but I'd rather not steal 10 animated gifs from around the web, not credit the sources, and then spend maybe five minutes surrounding them with words that no self-respecting writer would describe as an article. I prefer to take my time, snap my own photographs, and put some actual time, effort, and love into the work. Unfortunately, that means less frequent updates, and the web has sadly become all about who can update the most frequently and get the most followers and blahblahblah.

It's the same reason why you see YouTubers shooting so many quick "vlog" videos about absolutely nothing. It's filler. It's an update for the sake of updating. I guess I just don't believe in putting up content like that... I'd rather take a little more time and make something that a person might still remember later on down the road.

Don't get me wrong though; there's still a lot of great stuff on the web these days, but there's so much b.s. you have to wade through to get to it, I can see how a lot of people don't care enough to seek it out. It's a lot easier to just hang out on Facebook all day and share the latest LOL-inducing image with your friends. There's no time commitment to it. Quick laugh and then get on with your day. It's just not what I'm into. I like reading lengthy pieces in my down-time, so I guess that's why I tend to enjoy writing them too.