View Single Post
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2008, 11:43 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
All your arguments are picking on stupid details ;/ The nearest star is like 5 light years away which would take like 30 years or something i don't know the calculation but it would be a very long time. WHAT MAKES YOU THINK HUMANS CAN DEAL WITH THIS PSYCHOLOGICALLY OR BIOLOGICALLY?
What makes you think that humans could deal with any of your proposals psychologically or biologicallly? I find the idea of a cramped spaceship infinintely less scary than being made into a Borg.

Quote:
It's not like transhumanism is going to drastically depart from the details of being human, just like, if a new evolution occured which "advanced the species," in a purely biological way it could POSSIBLY (LOOK AT THE WORD POSSIBLY) be considered transhuman; but regardless, it is a different species yet it will still share many qualities with humans, just like chimps do.
So is that how humans will be regarded by this new species? Chimps? The prospect of being treated like a chimp doesn't exactly enthrall me.

Quote:
I like how you go from me talking about poverty and starvation to CONTROLING THE MASSES MINDS WITH BRAIN CONTROL VIA ROBOTIFICATION.
Well, given your insistance that cybernetics would allow for fundamental changes in the negative aspects of human nature, what is to stop those in power from forcing it on the masses "for their own good"? Sure, in an ideal world the technology would be used fairly and justly and never forced upon anyone, but in the real world, that doesn't happen.

Quote:
It's possible people could CHOOSE to become robotic or some kind of mixture of the two, for benefits for themselves and family.
Sure they could choose. But are the powers that be going to let them? And is everyone going to have equal access to this technology, or is it just the wealthy?

Quote:
In fact, in modern times, haven't people installed chips or something in their child's brain which is supposed to make them smarter?
Not that I'm aware of.

Quote:
Furthermore, I like how you ignore good parts of an argument such as the fact that it could help to equalize intelligence and physical features, and your only point in return is that WHO HAS THE RIGHT TO CONTROL PEOPLES MINDS LIKE THAT? then declare me stupid. Sounds like a strawman.
Alike and equal are not the same, not to mention the fact that intelligence is notoriously difficult to quantify and measure. If we "equalize" one type of intelligence, what is to prevent this change in the brain from lowering a different type of intelligence. We know very little about how the brain works, and I am quite reluctant to tinker with something that we have little understanding of. I have only the most minimal understanding of how my car works, so therefore, it would be an extremely bad idea for me to start tinkering around under the hood to make it go faster.