View Single Post
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 01:02 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Modular
Guys, do you think you could handle the physical aspects of being pregnant? I mean the hot flashes, weight gain, morning sickness, mood swings--and I'm mentioning only a few things here. Glowbelly I'm sure could point out more.
I think there is a fundamental problem here, and I blame a great deal of it on what I feel are the excesses of the feminist movement.

Mod, if this whole issue is merely about the 9 months of pregnancy, than no, men can't handle the physically aspects of actually being pregnant.

But that to me is a part of the problem. The way this debate has been framed has turned sex, pregnancy, and birth into bodily functions, rather than the very serious and life altering decisions that they are. You all seem to repeat the example of the asshole dad, who shouldn't be a father, who can't be responsible, and who the potential mom could never envision sharing a child (these things used to be called "families" I hear) with.

Well here's a question-- why was she with that guy to begin with? If he was good enough to have sex with (with the obvious exception being rape or incest), why is he all of a sudden a bad father? Sex is a reproductive act. It isn't a constitutionally guaranteed pleasure. It is an action with MASSIVE consequences, which should probably be considered before it's done.

I think abortion is too often viewed as a final method of contraception. I have no doubt that it's something no woman could go through easily, although the cases of multiple abortions are increasing in NYC, which I believe has the highest rate of abortion in the country.

You ladies seem to be arguing that because men can be lazy, unaccountable, abusive, and potentially bad fathers, well then there needs to be easy access to abortion to prevent that mistake. I think that abortion only protects and encourages that sort of behavior, and if that asshole man (who probably doesn't want to be a father anymore than you want him to be) knows that abortion will always be an option, then he will continue to be unaccountable for his behavior.

I'm all in favor of "choice", but how about holding people to the choices they make before the abortion??? Whose choice was it to have sex?? Or, whose choice was it to have unprotected sex??? We all seem to agree that abortion is a difficult and tough decision to make, yet we say absolutely nothing about the circumstances that brought it to that point. This of course requires sex education, and access to contraception. And although teen pregnancy for example is lower, it is still quite prevalent in rural and urban America. I think Americans are making smarter decisions, which is encouraging. So how low does the abortion rate (as well as the rate of unwanted pregnancies) need to be before we start calling a necessary evil simply evil???? How much longer do we need to excuse ignorance and poor decision making??