View Single Post
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 01:52 PM       
Quote:
I make this arguement because virtually everything I've read about transhumanist ideology throws caution to the wind.
Well, I didn't. So there ya go. I say, let caution be the wind beneath our sails.

Quote:
I'm not saying that the problems won't be resolved, I'm saying it will be a long time before they are and thus I am a little unnerved by this rush to embrace the technology.
There's no time-frame on this. and i wouldn't say there's an official rush, per se. Although I'm sure there's some who think it should happen now.

Quote:
Same strawman as before.
That's not a strawman. It's the logical extension of your idea ;/ If you really think that's a straw-man then i dunno you need to study more or something.

Saying we should be CAUTIOUS is NOT saying we SHOULDNT DO ANYTHING (except be uncautious or not be cautious whatever). It's just saying to be cautious. Sorry; it's not an argument against transhumanism. The only way it could be an argument against transhumanism is if you said that transhumanists are uncautious, and being uncautious is bad since it leads to bad results, therefore we shouldn't be transhumanists. Or if you could suggest a route that requires less caution than transhumanism to reach the same goal.

Furthermore, it can't be a strawman because I haven't really acted as though by misleading you from your original point and changing the topic i have defeated your whole argument because I defeated that new argument that i represented you as having.
In fact, I have consistently used your same logic against you, like when I said that if transhumanists were cautious, you would have no problem with it.
Quote:
I'm saying that you are overly optimistic about fixing these problems.
You seem overly pessimistic, or at least like you let your pessimism argue for you. and anyway that's why i mentioned such stringent control methods!

Quote:
And I believe you are the first transhumanist I've ever seen who even acknowledged the possibilty of these problems occuring. Pardon me if I'm a little unsettled by that.
Probably because I'm not at all a transhumanist and really have absolutely no interest in the idea.

Last edited by kahljorn : Sep 26th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.