View Single Post

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:25 AM        ...
If Saddam did not have a loyal military force, he would not remain in power. He has relied on the loyalty of the Republican Guard to quell a dozen uprisings in the last ten years. If i were Saddam, I would be sure to keep the most loyal of my forces close to me. His most dedicated and skillled fighters are likely entrenched around Baghdad. I don't think we'll get an accurate assessment of what this war will entail until the ground forces get there. I would hope that they are welcomed with open arms. However I also hope that one day I'll awake to find myself having a normal sized penis, but that never seems to happen.

I wanted to add something about protestors too. In spite of being the fanatic right wing zealot that I am, I actually think the protestors are serving a valuable service. While their demonstrations will obviously not stop the war, they will influence how it's carried out. The relatively substantial amount of anti war sentiment will change the tactics used.

I think that if fewer people were oppossed to war, it would not have been conducted the way it has so far. If there were no opposition, I feel confident that we would have implemented the shock and the awe at the opening bell. It is that critical public eye that is forcing the administration to throttle back and ensure that it proceeds as cautiously as possible. The margin of error that the public will accept in this war is very small, compared to what it would have been willing to accept following 9/11 for example.