Thread: Nature
View Single Post
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 07:54 AM       
I didn't get to spend very long in the Northern Territory; I only got a little over a day in two different national parks, and that was it. The first one my female companion and I visited was Litchfield, just south of Darwin.

Darwin has the worst weather I have ever experienced so far in my life, by the way. 33 degree heat is hardly anything to worry about, but the air was so wet and humid we couldn't walk 50 meters down the road without needing to rest, drink water and complain. It was a chore to breathe. Anyway, Litchfield was about 35 celcius, but dry so it was nice.

First photo is of magnetic termite mounds. They look like gravestones. The termite nests act as huge sails that face East; maximizing morning and evening sun and minimizing it in the noon.

Cathedral termite mounds dotted the place too. They just build massive nests that get to be as big as trees and hundreds of years old.

More Litchfield.

Twin Falls; I swam there.

Twin falls was where I began my love affair with a reasonably large type of green arsed ant that when you licked it's abdomen it tasted like lime. For the next five days I licked these ants wherever I saw them

I think I might have known what this tree is called at some stage, but I can't remember. It is a parasite sucking on another tree.

Swam here too.

This plant is a carnivore. It attracts insects by smelling rather nice, then when they wander in to have a gander, they get stuck on the sticky, dew tipped hairs. The leaf then folds in on itself to consume it's victim. I think it's called a sun dew something or something. Maybe not.

More to come.