View Single Post

FS is probably a spambot
Old May 17th, 2003, 02:09 PM       
I'm surprised so many people found this movie inferior and even in parts bothersome. I tend to be more blown away by big spectacles seen in theatres than when I catch them on TV, which might taint my opinion, but still.

AW HECK, JUST SKIP THE REST OF THIS POST IF YOU DON'T WANT TO HIT A SPOILER.

I thought the deepening of the story with the Oracle and other beings in the Matrix being explained as independant programs was great. I'd have to watch the movie a second time to ensure that I fully understood the explanations of the Architect, but what I understood of it now is that Zion is as much part of the great system/plan of the Machines as the Matrix is. I liked that. I feel the story has come a great length with this movie - in the first one it was more simplified, with Neo as a Jesus that would set everything straight.

Since the Architect suggested that the One is more like a human program than a messiah, my take on Neo stopping the Sentinels is that he's rising above himself. He's becoming the One in the real world, something which will probably be left more up to spirituality to explain than to the tricks of Agent Smith or the Matrix itself. No doubt he will be able to jack into the Matrix without use of his neckplug in the next movie. I suppose the next movie will be all about Neo defeating Agent Smith to save everyone still in the Matrix from getting killed when the 24 hours run out.

The action scenes: I thought Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a bore and I've never cared for most flavors of Japanimation, but I was blown away. Sure, it was over the top and crazy, and you could tell by the movements it wasn't all real stuntwork, but I just tried to keep my jaw from dropping into my lap. The clone fight, the fight in the hall with the art and weaponry, the freeway chase - I loved it all. And inbetween, I liked the story plenty.

I guess my idea that this movie was great for everyone was wrong, but I enjoyed the hell out of it. My only thought now is that they've laid the bar pretty damn high for the next movie.