View Single Post
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM       
"Blanco, the entire war on terrorism is like an episode of Law & Order. if we busted Bin Laden, the whole thing would fold, and we could move on to the next global problem that has nothing to do with Islam*."

See, THAT's a perfect example of Vinthism, exccept he did it in a far more natural and thus charming fashion.

Step one, adress a comment via a third party who assumedly agrees with you. It shows solidarity on the one hand, and contempt on the other.

Step two, boil your opponents argument down to an oversimplified, risable nugget.

Step two, let the implication lie that there is no ground at all between that obviously ludicrous nugget and your own position.

And Preech, with all do respect, I think your huzzah an freedom of speech and press was el nutso! Each iota of freedom you take from press or people is an iota you add to entrenched powers ability to muzzle it's opponents and work it's will in secrecy. No one of any party or political stripe (even, dare I say it, a liberatarian!) could resist that sort of temptation.

Freedom of speech and press are unwieldy, messy, frequently and easily abused and manipulated but as imperfect as they are they are a potential hedge against tyranny, and the only one I can think of that does not inlcude the use of firepower.