View Single Post

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2003, 05:42 AM       
I have to think, would this be the best of times to start an international war crime court, or the worst of times? Both given as a reason that the international community seems to be falling apart. Could this be effectjve as a last attempt at patching things up, or would it be fruitless before it's active?

Eitherway, I can't say I've seen much credible reason given for the US not joining this court - nothing but paranoia and hypocrisy, to be honest. Either people don't want the US to join because they fear that American officers will be put on trial for war crimes they actually committed, OR they think the international anti-American state of mind is so bad that innocent American civilians will be somehow abducted and actually convicted of crimes they didn't commit out of petty spite.

As ineffective as international organizations can be, I still don't believe they'd blatantly abuse their role or defy their own laws. But if the American government does not agree with me on that, then I guess the US has no place in this court.