Thread: So, boxing.
View Single Post
Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattJack View Post
SEMANTIX. Of course nobody is "forcing" anybody to do anything, but you have to hit another man in the face over and over again in order to win the contest.

Yes, but they don't hit each other just for the KO. There is a point system based on hit ratio and where the strike lands. I don't know how they score MMA but I believe the match is over when one of the fighters is holding the head and spinal cord of his defeated opponent.

Quote:
I'd say the judging in boxing is far, far worse than in MMA. I've seen three blatantly thrown fights on ESPN and HBO. Blatantly thrown. Even the in house announcers knew it.

The throwing fights debate is irrelevant to the conversation. We are discussing how MMA is a sloppy step back in the history of human civilization. Putting two grown men in a cage and having a contest where they choke, knee, stomp, bash, and attempt to break each others limbs is devolution in my honest opinion.......

Quote:
You obviously don't watch any MMA. A lot of fights are stopped early because the ref deems it a TKO or the lesser fighter isn't protecting himself. Next, the fighters TAP OUT when they are done fighting, generally speaking. If one doesn't tap(which is a very stupid thing that only a fraction of fighters have ever done) then the ref steps in.
lol, I'm going to ignore the whole "Obviously" comment. I once new a guy who started all of his debates with "you obviously don't know this...or that..." I would usually say back to him "you obviously don't know how to communicate like an adult"

The fighter isn't protecting himself? Is it because he's getting beaten on the ground or has slipped unconscious from lack of oxygen to the brain? Is the fighter tapping out because he's in pain or is in fear of serious injury? Boxers do not have to "tap out". If the referee sees a boxer on the ropes then the fight is over. It doesn't have to get to the point of almost getting seriously injured.

Quote:
Chokes and locks are essential to most TRADITIONAL MARTIAL ARTS. These guys use their knowledge of judo, juijitsu, sambo, greco roman wrestling, traditional american wrestleing, etc. to defeat an opponent.

I've never seen any of these fighting styles used in the cage....ever....

All they do is wildly swing at each other, try to choke them, or try to break an arm. The fights are boring and have no class, style, or skill. Anyone who has two brain cells to rub together can be an MMA fighter.....get on top and punch or get behind and choke.

Quote:
Foot stomping doesn't exist in the USA. You cannot soccer kick a downed opponent without harsh consequences.

I've see an a fighter stomp the feet of his opponents numerous times. It's allowed. What MMA are you watching?

Quote:
What is the difference between hitting somebody mercilessly on the ground or mercilessly standing up? You generally hit people without mercy in any combat sport. Don't follow.

I guess there is no difference then. Hmmm....(rolls eyes)

Quote:
They aren't boxers. I'm not claiming that they have an elite traditional western boxing calliber pedegree, but to say that they are "sloppy shoot fighting bar room" brawlers is completely laughable.

When you say "laughable" do you mean true? Because this gigantic post you just vomited out really doesn't help your argument. It's actually helping me.......

I think the whole "What’s the difference between bashing someone half to death on the ground" just proved my point completely.

Quote:
Have you heard of Muay Thai? How about kick boxing? MMA fighters generally choose these two because it better suits their sport. Traditional western style boxing is very limiting. It serves its purpose for a boxing event, but has great limitations to real world scenarios or MMA matches. Put a kick boxer and a boxer against each other in an MMA fight and i'll choose the kick boxer everytime.

I think this whole fantasy that MMA fans are living in is kind of silly to be honest. These fighters DO NOT USE MARTIAL ARTS. All they do is sloppily punch with haymakers, knee, kick thighs, choke, and attempt to break arms.

I've never seen any kind of bruce lee-ish fighters enter the ring. It looks like 2 guys who had too many drinks and are fighting over a girl in the corner of the bar.

Quote:
And finally here is where we get to the real heart of your lame post. A lot of things use to be illegal before they became legal.

Those examples you gave are irrelevant. This was illegal because it was a blood sport not because it was being persecuted because of race or identity.

Quote:
JOHN MCCAIN(a politician who works for a state)

For once John McCain was right. He called it "HUMAN COCK FIGHTING" and I have to agree with him. Its a messy sport with no skill that runs strictly on testosterone and ignorance.

Quote:
Fact is boxing is dying due to bad business practices,

I'm noticing that you keep bringing up boxing’s bad business practices which I do not deny. Problem is its irrelevant to the conversation. The facts being that MMA is a uncivilized neo-gladiatorial event that has captivated and duped most young men into idolizing it and or using the half-cavemen they throw into a cage to fight as role models.

Boxing is not only much safer then MMA but REQUIRES SKILL also the bout is conducted in a very orderly way. Unlike MMA.

Just the name MMA (Mixed martial arts) is a falsehood. They don't use a mix of anything. Like I stated over and over again its a very amateurish and barbaric contest that we as humans should have shunned away from a few thousands years ago. Boxing is the progress of that. The sport is still active but now there are more rules put in place to protect the fighters. MMA if you can even call it that is a big step back in terms of civilized combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post

On a more serious note though, many of my old coworkers were training for MMA on a local level basis. I learned a lot about it. Like the importance of style diversification, that the better MMA participants spend equal time on striking and submission, and that most MMA participants dislike or don't respect Kimbo Slice. Coolinator, you aren't making any point about MMA that wasn't made about boxing repeatedly over the past 100 years. The difference is MMA has come farther faster than boxing for a myriad of reasons.
Boxing is dying on the vine. MMA is surpassing it because it is everything boxing used to be.
Monkey see monkey do. As I just said, young people of all types are using this as a socially acceptable role model when in a normal society this would be an absolutely repugnant spectacle. MMA is more akin to an internet video of a car crash caught on tape. We like it because on a very primitive level we want to be the guy in the ring but on another primitive level we want to see the excitement of someone being pummeled, choked, or arm half broken.

Your right about the points I'm making regarding boxing. They have all been made before BUT boxing has been regulated again and again to protect the fighters. MMA has not. MMA is as its meant to be a neo-gladiatorial barbaric spectacle for a the masses. I don't watch it, I think my points are valid and appropriate, and I won't be paying money and time soon to see it or to take lessons on how to be a brute in a cage.