View Single Post
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Jun 27th, 2006, 09:46 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
And Preech, with all do respect, I think your huzzah an freedom of speech and press was el nutso! Each iota of freedom you take from press or people is an iota you add to entrenched powers ability to muzzle it's opponents and work it's will in secrecy. No one of any party or political stripe (even, dare I say it, a liberatarian!) could resist that sort of temptation.

Freedom of speech and press are unwieldy, messy, frequently and easily abused and manipulated but as imperfect as they are they are a potential hedge against tyranny, and the only one I can think of that does not inlcude the use of firepower.
I'm just jumping on the bandwagon. Individual Freedoms and Liberties are restricted wholesale thanks to war, but God forbid we share the burden with the holy press. They be able to do whatever they want, whenever they want, just like Cynthia McKinney. I'm pretty sure some sort of public obligation exists alongside their First Amendment protections, and since part of our public is living and dying in Iraq and Afghanistan right now, I think it's fair to question how well the obligation the press has to serve the public is serving our soldiers.

I doubt seriously the First Amendment was designed to serve as a zone of immunity against sedition. There's a big difference between watchdog and activist, but the First has been abused to the point that, in my humble opinion, the press has frankly become WAY too politically powerful.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!