View Single Post
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 05:36 AM       
Anything can be given a spin in a peculiar direction if someone does a lot of twisting. Due to the awareness and aknowledgement of post-modernist 'communication of communication', it's pretty much a given that whatever point you're trying to make, someone out there will use your exact words/actions/art and completely turn them around, and feel completely justified in doing it. It's part of the 'nobody understands, words are without meaning, everything acts as a vessel for everything' type of apologist PM that is desperately trying to cast critical thought as completely obsolete.

I wouldn't find it suprising if someone said that the nazis archived footage of their ethnic cleansing in death camps and the like purely for reasons of posterity, and to forever remind humanity of how inhuman it can get, and therefore, the nazis were deeply and essentially humanitarian. Nothing is too far-fetched nowdays.

My dad's a marxist, and he writes/draws political cartoons in the newspapers here in greece. I can't tell you how many times people have come up to me and in casual conversation, thoroughly explained how my dad is a racist, a fascist, a stalinist, a traitor to the communist party, or completely apolitical, a cheap reactionary or whichever combination of the above. People understand what they want to understand. Their bias overbears any attempt at actual honest inspection of a written piece, or of art or of whatever else carries a semiotic charge. People are more interested in proving themselves right than they are in understanding anything, and that naturally paints their worldview as a pretty scary place where things simply are not even intended to make sense.