View Single Post
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 06:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Hadas View Post
oh shit, I guess they did explain it. That kind of pisses me off . That's probably the difference between opinions. I'm not interested in whatever they've concocted to explain the town "It was Alessa, she's psychic!" Hell I don't want anything in the series explained to well. I like that they leave everything disjointed and expect you to put them together.

The games twist is not that big of a surprise. You'd probably have figured it out before it happened even without it being spoiled. What it does is completely change how we see James, everything said and done is thrown into a completely different light. I was 14 when I first played this game which makes it easier to admit I teared up when you walk down that long hallway. You hear how his relationship with Mary was like near the end, James was trapped in a complicated emotional scenario and it did not end well for him. Silent Hill 2 is sadder than it is scary.
Youīre right about one thing: Itīs hard to appreciate certain games if you play them "later". The classic example would be Final Fantasy 6 and 7. If you never played them back then and play them now, you tend to say "What, THATīS it?" Itīs some kind of you-had-to-be-there-thing.

Iīll try to explain my relation to Silent Hill a little differently:

I really love alternate, twisted realities, compact pockets of chaos, chunks of hell, glimpses of the screaming insanity of the warp, the mind-shattering horror of the void as it thickly drips into our normal reality and brings with it the beauty of total insanity (I canīt describe it much better in english). Maybe thatīs why I like the original premise of Silent Hill so much, it has this glimpse of madness in it that Silent Hill 2 lacks. 2 on the other hand HAS a certain comfiness (can you say that?) to it, since James really isnīt phased all that much by anything he encounters. His sadness and denial weigh heavier than Silent Hill itself, which is impressive.

Though I was dissappointed that James was really just a sad slob in denial rather than...I donīt know, I just thought his state had more of an impact to the town, if you know what Iīm trying to say.