View Single Post
The Goddamned Batman
Protoclown is probably a spambot
Old Mar 29th, 2008, 04:25 PM       
For everyone who asked what the difference is between the Absolute Edition and the normal trade paperback, to be honest there's not a lot of new content. There are some script excerpts in the back, several interesting pages of notes about the character creation from Alan Moore and some preliminary character designs from Dave Gibbons. Nothing to justify the price. The main appeal of the Absolute Edition is that it's presented in an over-sized format and they improved a lot of the coloring. It doesn't look computer colored like a lot of newer books, and many of the changes are subtle, but if you compare pages between both versions you will definitely see a vast improvement on the Absolute Edition. I think it's worth it because I'm a hardcore comic fan, and the best books deserve the best treatment. Casual readers would certainly be happy enough with the normal trade though.

D-Mon: If my mentioning Rob Liefeld's name distracted you, just pretend I mentioned someone else. I was merely invoking the name of a crap artist to contrast to Gibbons. If you haven't read Watchmen, you definitely should.

BakaGaijin: I'm willing to give the Watchmen movie a chance, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I actually enjoyed V For Vendetta, despite it being a dumbed down version of the book.

BurntToShreds: These days you can find quite a lot of comics in libraries, whether good or not, so that alone is not necessarily a mark of quality. I guess I'm saying just be wary of other things you might see in the library. And there are college courses that teach Watchmen.

IHeartApathy: See, that concerns me. I heard they were going to do an animated Black Freighter short film that would be an extra on the DVD. It's such an important part of the story though that I wonder how the movie will suffer from its absence.

Doctor_Who: That's a damn good point about the Biff Tannen joke. I really dropped the ball there, didn't I?