View Single Post

Kulturkampf is probably a spambot
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 05:44 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulturkampf
(2) Liberals often say that Hussein was the only 'secular' leader, which is a joke when you look at his Presidential acceptance speech and his history of targeting Christians and Shi'ites being they were perceived as political liabilities.
Right, and because he went about building a lot of mosques, we should assume that he was a very, very religious man. :/

When people say Hussein was a secular leader, they mean he didn't rule the country by the Koran. There was no Islamic/faux judiciary to check his power against, BECAUSE HE WAS FUCKING CRAZY, AND WOULD NEVER SHARE POWER WITH ANYBODY!
But there was some great quotations like: """If Allah Almighty, in his great wisdom and for reasons beyond our comprehension, decides to put you again to the test of fighting on a large scale, then the Almighty, the nation and history will expect you to deliver an effective stand," Mr. Hussein said, according to an official translation of his Arabic text.

"Afterward," he continued, "the enemy will fall on his face, despised, condemned and defeated, while your banner, the banner of God Is Great, will continue to fly high on its nest, dignified and honorable."""

He was not exactly as secular as you want.

Quote:
Quote:
Many leftists pretend that Hussein was not that bad of a man, and a certain enemy of Islamism and thus has nothing to do with the Islamist threat. A man who certainly had no chemical, biological, or atomic weapons and was not a real threat.

I consider that absurd.
Speaking of absurdity, could you name some of these "leftists"? Who truly believes that he wasn't "that bad of a man"? I think you are confusing the positives people tried to highlight in Iraq with praising a dictator. Perhaps it's out there, but I'd like for you to show me who it is, ok?

And as for him being a part of the islamist threat-- what was Muqtada al-Sadr up to prior to our invasion of Iraq? How well was his family's message received by Saddam "the Islamist threat" Hussein???
Muqtada al-Sadr was a Shi'ite.

Furthermore, you cannot find outright portrayals of Hussein as bein g a good leader by any means, but you always hear him downplayed as secular and not a threat and being without any NBCs (certainly you would agree he didnt have NBCs, hahaha).

I would say Michael Moore would have gone so far -- I do remember in Fahrenheit 9/11 when it showed the videos of Iraq days before the attack, portraying it as a normal and great country peacefully living and existing, waiting on the eve of destruction.